In our last blog post, we talked about study and success tips for students in Grades K-9. This month, we want to tell our students in Grades 10-12 how to settle into the new school year, get the most out of their experience at SCIDES, and have a successful academic year.
As a student at SCIDES, you have a wealth of support and opportunities:
• 139 courses to choose from (for Grades 8-12), including core programs with project options and unique electives.
• You have the ability to personalize any of those programs (in cooperation with your teacher) to fit your personal schedule and situation.
• Work with flexible timelines at your own pace, all while receiving individualized attention.
• Get feedback on your assignments as quick as 48 hours after submission.
• SCIDES is open 12 months a year, to work with your schedule.
Those options and individual support are what SCIDES contributes to your learning success. Here’s what you can do to get the most out of your learning experience and have a great year:
• Get in touch with your teacher. Really, we want to hear from you! We want to help you figure out the best action plan to tackle your course work, give you feedback, and hold you accountable. Your teacher in on your team, always happy to help out and offer guidance. You can get in touch via Skype, Google Hangout, text message, phone, or in person. Connect with your teacher often.
• Create a schedule that works for you and that you will stick to every day. We can’t stress enough how important this is. Yes, you have the support of your teacher when you need it, but you are at the centre of your learning experience, and you are the one who knows best which schedule will work and what it will take for you to stick to it. Have a look at your daily and weekly commitments, and aim to find the right balance between school, work, and time for family, friends, and yourself. Set yourself a schedule and try it for a few weeks, then re-assess. Adjust if needed, and then stick to it. Having a balanced schedule that works with your life will not only keep you motivated, but also be a big part of your success.
• Take advantage of the programs we offer. As a student of our school district you will have access to fantastic programs like ACE IT, and early enrollment is crucial for taking advantage of their benefits. If you are interested in trades, this program might be right for you. Find out how you can earn credit towards your graduation and get a head start on your post-secondary education – and apply early!
• Sign up for your free Office 365 account. If SCIDES is your school of record, you are eligible for a free Office 365 account, complete with a 500GB subscription to One Drive. The account will be active until you graduate, and can be used on up to five devices! Store your school documents in the cloud and have access to them from anywhere in the world, when you log in. Take advantage of the full power programs like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint have to offer!
Don’t hesitate to reach out for more information, if you have any questions, or if you would like to find out how you can register. The team at SCIDES is looking forward to a great 2016/2017 school year!
SCIDES ~ Creating connections in all directions.